The BeZine is published quarterly on the fifteenth of the month: March, June, September and December.
We suggest that you read our Intro and Mission Statement and at least one back issue of The BeZine before submitting work for possible publication.
Please be mindful that our core team (The Bardo Group Beguines), guest contributors and readers represent the world’s diversity. Nonviolence, respect, and inclusion are core values at The BeZine.
WE SEEK A RANGE OF SUBMISSIONS:
- fiction, nonfiction, creative nonfiction, essays, poetry, art and photography, cartoons, music videos, reviews and interviews, and documentary videos.
- Feature articles should include sources.
- Poems based on news should include sources if possible.
THE BeZINE THEMES AND READING PERIODS:
- March: Waging the Peace (January 1 -February 20)
- June: SUSTAINability (April 1- May 20)
- September: Social Justice (July 1 – August 20 / no simultaneous submissions in September)
- December: A Life of the Spirit (October 1 – November 20)
PLEASE SEND SUBMISSION TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prose, poetry, and links to videos: submit in the body of the email
- Photographs or artwork: submit as an attachment
- By submitting work to email@example.com, you are confirming that you own and hold the rights to the work and that you grant us the right to publish on the blog or in the Zine if your submission is accepted.
- Please include a three-hundred word bio in the email and – if you’re comfortable doing so – a photo as an attachment.
THE BeZINE BLOG:
- There are no themes for the blog except for poetry in April and climate action in September.
- Submissions to the blog are open all year and reviewed on a rolling basis.
SPECIAL ISSUES AND EVENTS:
- Occasionally we publish a unique issue and at the time of this writing we are considering an issue on disability for February.
- We also host events, most notably Virtual 100,000 Poets and Others For Change on the fourth Saturday in September.
BEST PRACTICES: We have a strong interest in learning about peace, sustainability and social justice initiatives that are working no matter where in the world. These will be considered for both blog and Zine. We encourage work that doesn’t just define or highlight a problem but offers solutions, especially when those solutions are already in place somewhere, proving productive, and might reasonably be implemented elsewhere.
COPYRIGHT: You retain the copyright for work published in The BeZine.
- Please let us know that you have submitted the work to other publications and advise us immediately when and if the work is accepted elsewhere. From our perspective this does not preclude publication but we need to know if another publisher has contracted for first-time or exclusive rights.
- We do not accept simultaneous submissions in September.
- Work that expresses distain for a specific person or group of people.
- Work that advocates hate or violence.
- Poetry with a complicated or eccentric layout.
- Odd fonts.
- Whole works in italics.
- Prose or poetry submitted against a colored background.
- Submitting more than three poems at a time.
- Submitting more than once in any given month.
Work must be submitted in English and properly edited. Submissions in other languages are encouraged. Please forward with an English translation.
PAYMENT: We regret that we are unable to offer payment or editorial feedback. While we don’t offer payment, neither do we charge for submissions or subscriptions.
The BeZine is a volunteer effort with a peace and justice mission.
On behalf of The Bardo Group Beguines
and in the spirit of love (respect) and community,
Jamie Dedes, Founding and Managing Editor
Update: September 28, 2019